LM048: How can I configure my Bluetooth Adapter?
Table of Contents
Finding your firmware number
First of all, you will need your Firmware Number, which you can find on the label on the back of your product, as pictured here.
This Firmware Number will identify which configuration software you need to use to configure the device.
Fw: v6.5 or higher requires LM149 Configuration Tool
Fw: v4.22 or lower requires LM049 Configuration Tool
The Tool is a user-friendly GUI application which runs on Windows. There are two methods with which users can configure LM048/LM058 Serial Adapters
- Connect the Serial Adapter to the serial port of a PC (possibly via a USB-RS232 converter) and configure it using the LM149 Software or a Serial Terminal
- Connect to the Serial Adapter via Bluetooth and remotely configure the settings (supported from firmware v6.57 onwards) using a Serial Terminal
Both these approaches are explained below.
Configuring LM048/LM058 Serial Adapter Locally
This is the most common method of configuring the LM048 Serial Adapter and is supported across all the firmware versions.
In this method the LM048 Serial adapter is connected to the PC/Laptop using a physical serial port or USB-RS232 converter. Therefore it is a pre-requisite that user should have a PC with physical serial port or USB-RS232 converter.
The below steps explain the procedure to configure the LM048/LM058 Software using LM149 Configuration Software or Serial Terminal.
The default serial settings of LM048/LM058 Serial Adapter are Baud Rate : 19200 Data Bits : 8 Stop Bits : 1 Parity : None Flow Control : None
Configuring LM048 using LM149 Configuration Software
1/ Power up the unit and if possible, factory reset the LM048 by pressing the Reset button for 3 seconds. The 3 LEDs will blink 3 times to show the factory reset is finished.
2/ Connect to the PC/Laptop via the serial port or USB-RS232 converter
3/ If you are using a null modem cable, change the slide switch position to DTE position. If you are using a straight serial cable, change the slide switch position to DCE. If not sure about the type of cable, try slide switch in DCE position. In most of the cases, LM048 is used in DCE position.
4/ Make sure the LM048 is in unconnected state. In unconnected state, Blue LED is blinking or OFF
5/ Open the LM149 Configuration Software, Select correct COM port and press Read Settings. Adapter settings should be read successfully.
6/ If Adapter settings are not read successfully, please refer LM048: Common Issues for possible reasons.
Once the user is able to read settings via LM149 Software, a pair of LM048 adapters can be configured to auto-connect to each other. For more details please see LM048: How do I pair two LM048s to auto-connect to each other?
Configuring LM048 using Serial Terminal
LM048 Serial Adapter can also be configured via Serial Terminal Programs like Hyperterminal, Hercules Setup Utility, Teraterm. There are two drawbacks with using this approach
- The user has to know the serial settings on the LM048 since Serial Terminal has to be opened on a particular set of serial settings. On the other hand, if LM149 Software is unable to read settings, it will automatically try all the possible combination of serial settings to find the correct settings on the LM048 Adapter
- The user should be familiar with LM048 AT Commands since the commands have to be typed via the serial terminal
However if the user is trying to configure the LM048 on a terminal which doesn’t support GUI interface, like POS Terminal, then this approach can be beneficial.
The below steps explain the steps to configure the LM048 via Serial Terminal. The below steps are illustrated with Hercules Setup Utility but you could use any serial terminal
- Power up the unit and if possible, factory reset the LM048 by pressing the Reset button for 3 seconds. The 3 LEDs will blink 3 times to show the factory reset is finished.
- Connect to the PC/Laptop via the serial port or USB-RS232 converter
- If you are using a null modem cable, change the slide switch position to DTE position. If you are using a straight serial cable, change the slide switch position to DCE. If not sure about the type of cable, try slide switch in DCE position. In most of the cases, LM048 is used in DCE position.
- Make sure the LM048 is in unconnected state. In unconnected state, Blue LED is blinking or OFF
- Open the serial terminal. Make sure to select the correct COM port number and settings. Also make sure the End-of-line (EOL) character setting is set to Carriage Return (CR)
6. Send AT Command to check if communication is established. User will get OK response if communication is established. The user can then send other AT Commands as mentioned in the LM048 AT Command Manual. For example, the command to check firmware version is at+ver
7. If user is unable to communicate with Adapter , please refer LM048: Common Issues for possible reasons.
Configuring LM048/LM058 Serial Adapter Remotely over Bluetooth Connection
This method is covered in detail in a separate article. Please read LM048: Remote Configuration of Serial Adapter via Bluetooth Connection for details.
Related searches other people found this article with:
find firmware number, find firmware code, find my firmware number, where do i find my firmware number?